Saturday, February 21, 2009

The story so far....

Hey People,

Sorry for such low post rate. Been really busy with course work :(

Ok. So here is the deal. In about 12 days, P1 will be over. Yes, it will be fuckin over. Its been awesome so far and I am now going to share my experience with you.

What is P1 all about?

There are two ways to look at it. Either you focus on the course work or you focus on meeting interesting people. As far as course work is concerned its mostly finance related. If you have a background in Finance then you will sail through P1. If not then it will need some work but not too much, unless you want to be on the Dean's list. For me, I dont want to be on the Dean's List because honestly I know what I want to learn at INSEAD and am focussed only on that.

As far as meeting inteteresting people is concerned, let me tell you that it is really important. You meet tons of people here and some of them tend to become your good friends. But then again, most of them will move on to Fonty and wont return. (This is for you V, mate come back to Sing Sing....). For me meeting these new people has been the high point because there is so much to learn from them. For example I know now that consulting sucks as far I as I am concerned. I know a lot more about PE than ever. And above all, I can run a fuckin spreadsheet on Excel like a breeze which I couldnt do before INSEAD. It is important and I suggest it be your priority too.

As far as grade performances are concerned, there are two grades at INSEAD - Dean's List and Non Dean's List. Dean's list is usually abour GPA 3.25 and it doesnt matter how close or far you were, you belong to the second category. If you my reader are into Dean's list and all, work your ass off son. If not then use this time to do things you have never done in your life before. For me, I did two things in P1 which I never did in my past 27 years. And hopefully I will add one more thing to that list by next weekend.

P1 and P2 is all about group work. I will let you discover that by yourself.

Now for jobs. Its all screwed up. So if any of you could link me up with a potential opportunity, I will give you my first month's salary. Number for D08 is around 65% with about 35% returning to their old jobs. J09 is now up for job search and we'll soon find out what the market is like. But I have been doing my snooping around and it honestly doesnt look good.

As far as internships are concerned, there are enough opportunities provided you are competitive enough. ML, GS, Citi etc. have been recruiting in banking. The numbers are very small like 1 or 2 and my personal opinion is that its only because they want to maintain the relationship with INSEAD.

Anything else you want to know??? Ping me and I will reply.

Take it easy guys. The world is all messed up but like the good old saying:

"In the end, everything is good. If its not good yet, then perhaps this is not the end."

Ciao
K

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am having some difficulties in deciding whether I should apply for Dec-2010 class or wait for June-2011, considering the current market might not recover by Dec-2010, and 6 extra monts between December 2010 and June 2011 might make a difference on the market situation. On the other hand, I am already over 31 and waiting one more year might not be so smart. However I have a quite good (and well paid job). What do you suggest? Apply for classes starting in January 2010 or September 2010?

konfused said...

Its a personal decision. Consider your career goals and then decide whether Dec or June promotion suits you best. A career switch would have better prospects with Dec promotion. Dont worry about age because if you have a great profile then you will be in irrespective. About 10-15% of people in our promotion are over 31. Definitely the market is screwed up right now but again it boils down to your career goals. If you are returning to your job or considering entrepreneurial venture then it doesnt matter how bad the market is.

All the best!

Anonymous said...

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Hey, how does the Dean's List work at Insead? Is it updated every Period? If someone does well in their exams and makes the list in P1 then does it mean they have to keep doing that to remain on the list?
When you apply for jobs can you tell the firms that you are on the list? Whats the system?
Love your blog, it helped me loads in my application